Sunday, January 22, 2023

week 1 wine review: dear mom - oregon rosè

Name: dear mom - oregon rosè

Variety of Grapes: 50% Malbec and 50% Syrah

Region/Country Of Origin: Oregon, US

Price: $4.50 for 1 can (I purchased this as a 4 variety sampler mystery set from Vintage Cellar for $17.50)

Vintage Year: Not Vintage (blend of wines)

Shop: Vintage Cellar 

Shop Review: We wanted our rose' to represent our commitment to making "wines of the south." In this case, the southwest Oregon. This delicious wine is certainly more representative of a rose' you might find in Cahors or thereabouts. 

The rose' is 50% Malbec, and 50% Syrah grown in the incomparable Applegate Valley. The darker fruit of Malbec and Syrah produced a richer pink complexion, and the wine is less an exercise in austerity than last year - this wine is all about fruit. 

The rose’ is 100% dry but the first thing you notice is the presence of a mouthful of bright fruit. The nose shows fresh picked strawberries with the stem still attached. Vibrant with a subtle floral tone. The palate is bright with characteristics of strawberries and watermelon sorbet. The acidity on the finish is 100% refreshment and makes you wish for just one more sip.

Wine Folly's Notes: n/a (doesn't have one specifically for rose)

My Personal Review: Visually, it is a very very faint salmon color, and not as appealing as a true white/red wine, but it wasn't unpleasant by any means. The smell was milder than the previous Cabernet Sauvignon that I tried, and it had immediate strawberry and floral notes that I picked up on in my initial sniff after swirling it around in my glass. I also did taste the sourness of the strawberries, although very dilute. I didn’t taste any of the fruity notes, but that was also an issue I had with the last wine I tried, so I think that will simply come with practice. 

If this was my only wine option in the future, I would drink it, but it is definitely lower down the list than I would like to rank it. I didn't try pairing this with any foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment